About Me

My photo
Who are we? We are 2 friends who love their hometown of Toronto and wanna explore every inch of it. We found this "City Walks Toronto: 50 Adventures on Foot" city guide and have made it our mission to complete them and document our adventures. Our blog consists of our sometimes-witty commentaries as we complete each walk. The black text represents information from the cards. The coloured text written in "Comic Sans" font is Monica speaking; the coloured text written in "Georgia" is Alma. ENJOY and please feel free to leave us your comments!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Click, click, click....

#24 DUNDAS SQUARE

DATE: Saturday, April 7, 2012
TIME: 2:12 - 3:56pm
 
This walk though the heart of downtown offers a glimpse of the city's earlier glory days.
Not quite sure what to expect from this walk....seems a little short, and random. But some interesting sites along the way. Looking forward to Maple Leaf Gardnes. It's a nice day, lets get walking!
Cheers to another walk! And hello to any new readers out there! If you've been to any of these places - please feel free to leave a comment below! We'd love to hear about your go to places or hidden gems that aren't mentioned ;)
Our starting location is definitely the heart of downtown! There weren't that many billboards maybe 10 years ago... but lately, they're popping all over the place! Feels like Toronto is trying to make Yonge and Dundas like New York's Times Square...
This intersection is quite busy-  screaming evangelists on every corner, breakdancers, drummers... Here you'll always find a crowd.

That's a whole lot of sun beaming on my face.
1. DUNDAS SQUARE
A large public space that hosts open-air concerts and myriad of other events.

Hmmm... you know, Dundas square isn't that old....but I can't remember what was here before..... Haven't attended a whole lot of events here. I always find it really busy when there are events here. Like during the Toronto Just For Laughs Festival when Russel Peters did his routine. I don't like crowds. Didn't hang around long..... During Nuit Blanche - the all night art exhibits around the city - they have a feature "piece" here. A few years back, the theme was "the audience is the art". Some guy on a scaffold shone a spotlight down on people in the crowd - the idea to be giving everyone 15 seconds of fame. I thought it was a let down. Wow, I'm such a downer.
Yeah, I'm not sure what was here before. Maybe it was a parking lot?! I wouldn't be surprise if it was. I want to say that I'm not here often but I have somehow end up here and check out what's going on, because there's always something going on....like
They hold free movie nights in the summer, where you don't have to bring your own chair! bonus! I think I saw part of West Side Story once. 
Also, I don't know why the girls and  I were downtown, but we ended up seeing Beyonce! Okay, if you know me... I'm not exactly a Beyonce fan... nor my friends. But that night... maybe more than 5 years ago... we somehow got engulfed into the crowd (I'm not a fan of big crowds either...) and we watched her set. Let me say, Beyonce is really good live! She really does it all! 

The intesection just beyond the sqaure is Toronto's first "scramble"intersection. (That's what it's called right?) (think so... though I automatically thought, "all way crossing" cause that's what the voice says.... I think) You know, where there is a periodic all-pedestrian crossing in every direction.






The new home of Citytv in the back.
I'm not sure how I feel about this, cause I'll always associate City with the Chum building on Queen and John... but times are a changin'
At least they don't have to constantly search for events to film... it's literally steps a way.

Alma taking a picture of the performers of the day. Apparently that picture didn't make the cut. (I wasn't actually take a pic...was adjusting my glasses. jk. well, it's not like we need more pics on our blog anyhow ) We had a bit of a discussion about the gated off area to the right of Alma. We are both convinced that Dundas Square used to have a sidewalk fountain - water jets that came out from the ground. But no evidence of that to be seen. Are we just making things up in our minds? I do have an active imagination....
If you actually read our blog (which apparently some people actually do!) you know that of course I'm going to research this. And yes, my google and wikipedia searches do show that Yonge and Dundas Square does have splash fountains. Check out the borrowed pics below.
File:Dundas-square-splash-fountains1024.jpg
The picture was created using the Computer Enhanced Multiple Exposure Numerical Technique (CEMENT).


We leave the square and walk south on Yonge to our next destination. Along the way we pass the old Pantages Theater (where Phantom of the Opera experienced a very long run here in Toronto). It's was later the Canon Theater and now known as the Ed Mirvish Theatre.
For a production that was here a long time... I never saw it. But Mon and I once saw Les Miserables here! And it's funny cause my bro actually bought tickets for the same day and asked if I wanted to go... I can't remember the reason why he had an extra ticket but my mom ended going. That was the day when my mom met mon for the first time and i think my mom offered her a juicebox a million times. Mon eventually caved... 

You know, when the theater reopened for Phantom, it was redone on the inside and the deisgners had hoped to catch some of the essence of the Paris Opera House. And since then the theater has hosted some critically aclaimed productions (Phantom, Les Mis, Billy Elliot). But what is playing here now? "Bring it On"!

2. Massey Hall
The attractive redbrick heritage building is famous among jazz aficionados as the site where the landmark Dizzy Gillespie-Charlie Parker Quintet recordings took place.

Never been inside. My sister-in-law's sister wanted to have her wedding here... didn't happen. Alma says she has this recording the cards speak of. I'm trying to talk her into putting a little sample up for us to all hear.
Yeah... that's not going to happen(sorry guys...you can probably youtube it). I already have troubles putting pictures up, how do you think i can upload an audio file?! Anyhow... the days that I was really into jazz, I read about these recordings in the Toronto Star (think I still have the newspaper clipping somewhere) and wanted them. I recall searching amazon for the cd and for some reason, I never signed up to amazon to buy them, but had asked Chris Chan to. I think I also got Elliot Smith's XO cd.. Weird... maybe I didn't trust the internet back then...remember CDs?! but yeah, great recording! Love hearing Perdido, Lullaby of Birdland and of course... A Night in Tunisia. It's awesome people shouting in the background and hearing every raw sound. If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know. Actually... I want to listen to it now.


I took Alex here for his birthday one year to see one of his favourite jazz groups "Pink Martini". Now... Alex is a really hard person to shop for, so when I saw that they were performing, I snatched up the only two tickets available. Sooo let me say... there were reasons why they were the only two tickets available - obstructed view. There was a beam that kinda obscured the main stage from Alex's seat and I can kinda see if i really tilted my head to the right... like really encroaching to the guy beside me. In speaking and befriending the older gentleman beside me (in order not to be offend him by me taking over some of his territory), he bought his tickets more than 6 months ago and was so he obviously had the better view. Hmm... that older man was really nice actually. Was really excited in seeing the show. He told me what songs he liked during the performance... Think one had a Tomato in the title... I digress.... One should check out a performance here... the atmosphere is really nice. Old and rustic... hope they never have to destroy this building to turn it into a condo... or supermarket.



So just around the corner from Massey Hall, and on our way on the walk - in fact, right next door to our next site, is St. Michael's Cathedral. Yet, its not a site on the cards. I thought that quite odd. It's a cathedral!!! 



The day of the walk was the day before Easter. We should have gone inside (maybe next time we should, I don't remember how it looks. been years) and started getting seats for Easter Vigil. It fills up quickly here! My brother got married here. They have a rule that little kids aren't allowed to be part of entry procession - even if they are carried by a parent. So my little newphew Liam didn't get to walk down the aisle. Just as well, he probably would have gotten distracted after a few steps. He was only 1 and a bit at the time.

It's not much to look at now - they are currently admist a restoration project.


3. St. Michael's Choir School (67 Bond Street)
This nationally acclaimed musical training institution counts "Irish Tenor" John McDermott as an alumnus.



I didn't notice this "boys entrance" on the day of the walk. Kind of curious since it is an all boy school. Was there even a girl's entrance?
My piano teacher Paddy Chevrier taught here. Wonder where she is right now... Kinda gave up on piano after finishing grade 9. Stupid four note chords... can never do them in solid form. Swear my hands aren't big enough. 
Anyway, one of my elementary school friends went here. I remember him telling me that returning from a school trip (they travelled a lot singing...), their plane got struck by lightening. He never thought that he was gonna live. Scary...



4. Mackenzie House (#82 Bond Street)
..."Greek Revival".... once home to the first mayor of Toronto.....a public museum known for its period printing press.





I did some rearch on this place before we came to see if it would worthwhile to actually go in. I was going to go to the library to pick up a free pass, but ran out of time. Guess this is as good as a time as any to explain the title of the walk then. The "clicks" in our title refer to the "clicks" in my head. See as I was walking to Dundas Square to meet Alma, I had a "click" when I realized I could have driven to the library to pick up the pass and then dropped my car back home before setting off. The thought didn't occur to me before. And just as I was thinking this, I had another "click" when I saw a rack of bicycles. Last year Toronto started this bicycle program. There are bicycles for rent all around the city. (Called Bixi!) I could have riden one of the bikes there and made it on time to see Alma. (That would never have happened though. I haven't riden in years. I think I'd be fine, but I wouldn't want to ride on Toronto streets. I'd be that person annoying pedestrians by riding on the sidewalk.) My next "click" came when I remember this guy Alma and I met last year at a party. This guy was quite drunk, but I found him quite entertaining to talk to.(He has a youtube video, doesn't he?! He seemed pretty proud of it... and how his brother is in a band... which I can't recall the name of) He very sternly told me off for not travelling more, and recommended I do some couch surfing, but we also had a discussion about the bikes. He purchased a year pass for the bikes. And at the time we discussed that even though you wouldn't use the bikes in the winter months it was still a pretty good deal. My "click" was that this was quite the mild winter - with no snow accumulation. So this ended up being an awesome year for this pass. He probably got a lot of use out of it. And that is my super long digression. This isn't the only "click" of the walk though. Stay tuned....

Back to Mackenzie House. Apparently it's haunted! The most infamously haunted dwelling in Ontario. 
Sounds like we should do some investigating next time...



Monica: "Hey Alma, do you know what's the most haunted building in England?"
Alma: "Umm... I dunno."
Monica: "The Shrieking Shack!"
Alma: blank stare
Monica: "You know from Harry Potter."
Alma: blank stare
Monica: "Harry Potter!!!!"
Alma:"I figured." 
oh monica....
Good times. Anyway, the Shrieking Shack isn't actually haunted. The noises that the villagers of Hog's Mead thought were violent spirits were actually of Lupin - who used to go there during the full moon to painfully transform into a werewolf



Monica taking a pic...
and probably taking time to scheme up that Harry Potter reference.

As we stood here, I read out to Alma some of the haunting stories from the webiste below. Would have been fun to creep ourselves out and look out (or listen out for ghosts), but we're too cheap to pay the entrance fee. Maybe we'll come back during the free weekends in the summer. Some notable stories. Apparently people have heard the printing press running when it was clearly locked up and not in use. And there have been sightings of a "Grey Lady" (FYI - HP also has a Grey Lady ghost - the ghost of the Ravenclaw tower) (Can you tell us what page number she's mentioned, Monica?! Cite your sources!) 
(Really Alma? Alright. Sure. She appears at the end of the 7th book. An important character because she reveals to Harry that she told Voldemort where to find her mother's diadem - which Voldermort as a youth finds and turns into a horcrux. Off the top of my head, the chapter is called "The Lost Diadem" or "The Battle at Hogwarts". However she's mentioned in passing in a believe the 6th book. Just a ghost Harry passes in the corridor. Remember, you asked.)
http://www.pararesearchers.org/index.php?/20080806570/Ghosts-Hauntings/Mackenzie-House.html

I can see how creepy this house can be though... Can imagine there aren't that many people that work here, so I would probably be scared by every little sound that's made.
Also... as Mon is reading these stories out, we wonder if anyone from inside can hear us, cause if you look at the above picture closely, the window and door are set ajar. The ghosts are beckoning us in!

Think this is a squirrel or a ghost squirrel???
I ain't scared of no ghost!





It's spring!


   

Preview of the house.


The back


or is it?


Look it's lit! With ghostly flames...
Now isn't it a waste to have that running all day long?


Side of the house...
We notice there are no windows... to escape from?!
But Mon points out that there was probably a house right beside it... 


FYI

and how much we didn't want to pay...


Ghostly shadows

Hmph?
Ghostly chains...
5. Statue fo Egerton Ryerson
...a pioneering advocate for public education in Canada.

Ryerson's campus looks nice...never ventured on this campus except pass through during Nuit Blanche.
There was an art piece that had thousands of yellow duckies in a pond. People kept going into the water to get one but security told them to put it back.  That rubber duckie exhibit was my favorite that year!

He looks angry... why is he reaching out with his right hand?


6. Normal School
Canada's first teacher's academy.

Was it underground???? This structure is currently a Ryerson Athletic Center. Small entrance, students walk down stairs to the underground facilities. The Structure we took pictures of is basically a wall...holding up nothing. 


I thought you read something about it being just the facade. Did I make that up?

Can you see me? I was trying to take a picture of Alma taking a picture (I did that a lot during this walk - have deleted some of those) but my iphone chose this moment to act all crazy.





Oh there it is... 
I read it. 





 Alma was able to trouble shoot my problem. Decided to still take the pic I was intending on... minus Alma. So use your imagination and insert her there below the stairs.


And for no apparent reason, a pile of bricks.
dreams of becoming part of building one day... 
like the rest of the normal school!




We make our way through the small, but nice, Ryerson campus to our next venue.


We note that this is no King's College Circle

Also!
Take note... these girls have a dog! 
There's a no dog sign nearby... 
isn't there?! or did I make that up?

There was a no dog sign. Those scoundrels!




Not as nice as the one on my beach....
Let the eye rolling begin...

7. Maple Leaf Gardens (60 Carlton Street)
The former home of the Maple Leafs.

Well this is what I was looking forward to all walk. Maple Leaf Gardens! The "House that Con Symthe built"! As a die hard Leaf fan, this building is a mecca for my people. (Hope no one finds that last sentence offensive.) When this building was still a hockey rink - even after the Leafs moved to the ACC (in Feb 1999) - i found this place so.... "magical" for lack of a better word. Felt like I was on sacred ground. Could almost feel all the history and the ghosts (more ghosts!) of the past when I stood in there. That feeling isn't quite there anymore. Aww..that's sad :(


And I don't like that they didn't keep the original signage. So not cool.
I agree... They better have the old sign somewhere..
The new marquee makes it look like a movie theatre.
   
Left: The original lettering. Right: The gardens from above.
(Okay, my apologies to Ryerson. Apparently my complaints about the new sign are a little unfounded. In my rearch I found old pics of Maple Leafs Gardens and it original had signage reminiscent of what it is now. Oops. Well, still like it better in the pic above.)
Oh really?! Wow! well the "old" one is the one we grew up with...so yeah...


After years of the building not doing much, it was purchased by Ryerson. Half of it is being used as an athletic center and still has a rink. The rest is a Loblaws. Lots of controversy. In the years inbetween, it occasionaly was the home for the Toronto Rock (Lacrose Team) and also the early seasons of "Battle of the Blades". Really?! Battle of the Blades?! I didn't know that. 

I have a bunch of ancedotes about the Leafs and Maple Leaf Gardens. (I could easily have a Leaf ancedote for every walk... or a Simpsons ancedote..... or a Friends ancedote....) I'll try to limit myself though. Is it cause you're running out of Harry Potter references?! But a Simpsons/Friends/Leafs reference once in awhile would probably be appreciated by all!
I remember learning in Grade 8 history that the grounds of Maple Leaf Garden's is the site of a historic battle. From the war of 1812 perhaps? Couldn't confirm this....Battle ground for hockey?! Teachers lie a lot... from what I've heard... jk.
During the process of converting the grounds into a Loblaws, they found a creek running under the building! Bizzare, right? How does that happen? Really?! What did they do about it?
They also found a time capsule from 1931. It contained newspaper clippings, a hockey handbook, and small ivory elephant. I think the debate of who owns the capsule is still going on. Also the significance of the small ivory elephant...

Swanky Loblaws.
I got Alma to take a pic of the scale because I hadn't seen one in ages. At least at the grocery stores I shop at. But Alma says she still sees them all the time. 

We're offered a sample of Mango and walnut bread. The walnut is better... think it's on sale.
The Wall of Cheese!!! Had heard about this fabled wall before. I do love cheese! But kind of thought it would have had a wider selection. Cute story: a couple I work with had a "date" day a few months ago. It included a trip down to see this new Loblaws and this wall of cheese.
"a couple I work with"
were you on this date?!
Cause that would've been perfect for you.

The cheese on the right looks unreal
Look how excited she is!



Look at those macaroons!
They're really pricey, aren't they?! 
So curious though...

Doesn't everything look good?
Man, I have such a sweet tooth. 
Not good, esp since I'm a denturist.
Or is it good since I'm a denturist?

Today's my bro's birthday. He loves carrot cake... so I thought this would be a perfect place to get him one. Mon and I scope out the cake section before continuing our walk. Now... I'm not going to carry a cake around... so I decide to pick it up after. But on returning, the cake was sold and there were no more carrot cakes left :(
Mon and I had a mission to find a carrot cake by the end of the day, which fortunately Mon has done before with Sean!
Below this mural are stadium seats! Think all the seats in this place should be old stadium seats. I know a bunch were auctioned off though. And just infront of this mural are escalators to the parking levels - including a shopping cart escalator! So cool. I want to drive and park here just to use that cart escalator.
and I want to witness you using it! We can document it and add it to the blog!

So cool! Another great use of stadium seats!

Up we go!
I kinda recommend the food court here...
Mon and I had a panini and they were reasonably priced. I think I'd eat here or pick up a few snacks if I was in the neighbourhood and not in the mood for a falafel, sushi, pizza... 

Also... Not too far from here is the new Bulk Barn, for all your candy, chips... bulk needs!

Ahhh, I took a picture of this chipped wall because it relates to my favorite Maple Leaf Gardens ancedote. In the mid 90's, the Leafs experience a resurgance and some play off sucess, going deep into the playoffs in '93 and '94. But in '97 and '98, we tanked. Anyway, a little article appeared in the Sun saying that the Leafs received a letter and a piece of brick with a note. Apparently a guy from BC visited Maple Gardens and took a chip of brick from the wall. But since then, the Leafs' success vanished. So the guy, guiltily mailed it back in hopes to reverse the ill fortune. Ahh, superstitious hockey fans.... (Cannot mock them, I am one of them.)
Tee hee! 
I used to be superstitious with the Raptors and I can never watch a tennis game live. Get so nervous...

8. Allan Gardens
The beautiful complex boasts more than 1480 square meters of seasonal plants, a permanent collection , and the Victorian conservatory "Palm House" containing rare tropical species.
Haven't been here in awhile. Last time may have been a picnic with my old botany buddies, Sean and Asal! I once a field trip here for a Tammy Sage botany class I took.


This green house used to be part of the University of Toronto. It was originally situated near the corner of College and University... where U of T's Pharmacy building now stands. 
Now, when we were in first year biology, we had to go to the greenhouse for one of our labs to complete out a sheet by walking around and listening to a cassette tape. Can you imagine? A CASSETTE tape! That's how old we are! Actually... we were the last group of people to do this lab... guess that makes us special. 


I came here last winter... 
I was taking a photography class and we went here for a field trip. It was freezing that day! and to get into the greenhouse, my teacher had to approve one of my outdoor photos. 
Nice dome.
FYI
Yet another picture of Alma taking a picture. I think the picture she took is below. You know, the clicks in our title could also refer to all the camera clicks. There were a ton of pictures for this walk.
Haha! I didn't know I take pictures with my mouth open! I didn't know you were taking a picture of me, Mon!

No need for jackets in here!
It's hot!
Doesn't everyone look somewhat happy in here?!

I took this picture cause I'm always looking for flowers with nice big reproductive organs - for teaching purposes.
Haha! Mon takes note of how large that pistil is!

Looky looky, there are fishies in there.
The gardens are so well kept.
Really brings you into the spring season!


Leda and the Swan. Now I can pull out my Greek mythology! Zeus fell in love with Leda, violated her, and hid her from his wife by turning her into a swan.

From the Lilicacae family
Common characteristics:
6 stamens
1 Pistil
 3 carpels
... think I need to check that...



The orchid society made an appearance here today...
Mon and Sean have an orchid story...  All my orchid stories come from a book. If you like orchids and ancedotes, I recommend "The Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean.

Looks unreal!
I just love the colour!
I can picture this plant absorbing a cup of food colouring... remember those experiments with celery as a kid?! to show the tubules in a celery?
These are all 100% natural. i think. 



I think I want to start growing succulents... 
These are so pretty, no?
and the upkeep... probably very minimal.
Mon, what do you think?! 
Yeah, I should give up on traditional C3 angiosperms. They don't last very long with me- they tend to commit suicide in my care. They know my botany major is a farce (I only took 1.5 botany courses). Hint, hint: Someone buy me a cactus!


So this is what an agave plant looks like!
We had agave on one of our walks...
Can you name that walk?
Oo! Nature!
I wonder what those spirals do... attract a certain type of insect? photographer?
I think this is commonly known as a christmas cactus...




What's behind door number one?!
Leaf's through system... so smart
(what is that called?!) 
Look at those reproductive organs!

Think Mon is reading a sign..
Or having one of those 'clicking' moments



Okay time for the final "click" of the day. As we were walking through the greenhouses, I noticed a pretty flower and the plaque said it was a "Desert Rose". When I read that name I paused and had a "click" go off. Ready for this? At the end of February when we did the ROM walk we took a picture of a  cool rock formation in the mineral section. When we were doing the write up for the blog, neither of us could remember the name. It was bugging me. With nothing to go on, I couldn't research it. But when I read the phrase "desert rose" I remembered that was a nickname for that rock formation! They were barite crystals that formed rosette patterns. Alma looked at me quite skeptically at this. But later as we ate dinner at the Loblaws I looked it up and I was right! CLICK!!!


Here is a picture of a desert rose (the flower) courtesy of google images since in the excitement of my "click", we didn't take one in the greenhouse.







MONICA RATING: Hmm.... I dunno.... Alma brought up the point that this walk isn't very cohesive. Just a random jumble of venues. I guess if you're visiting Toronto, you'll make your way by Dundas square. And Maple Leaf Gardens is a must for hockey fans. And Allan Gardens is great for those on a budget! And a haunted house is always intriguing. I liked some of the venues... but the walk as a whole... I'm going with 2.75 camera clicks out of 5.  Camera Camera Camera  

Alma's Rating: I liked this walk. It was perfect for a spring day, especially ending with all the flowers in Allan Gardens. I don't think I'll be as harsh with my rating as Monica. I mean, maybe they shouldn't be calling this walk Dundas Square since it was only a small part of the walk. Also...maybe they should've incorporated the Eaton Centre, since it's literally across the street from Dundas Square. But then again, I'm sure it's part of another walk. I dunno. I was kind of in a sour mood when I met up with Mon this day, but it turned out to be a pleasant outing. So if you're looking for a nice walk to get some fresh air and you're stuck in the core of the city, then do this walk! I'll give this a 3.25/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment